Alteration in cardiovascular and respiratory system is a critically important component of disease diagnosis and treatment
An understanding of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems is a critically important component of disease diagnosis and treatment. This importance is magnified by the fact that these two systems work so closely together. A variety of factors and circumstances that impact the emergence and severity of issues in one system can have a role in the performance of the other. Effective disease analysis often requires an understanding that goes beyond these systems and their capacity to work together. The impact of patient characteristics, as well as racial and ethnic variables, can also have an important impact.
An understanding of the symptoms of alterations in cardiovascular and respiratory systems is a critical step in diagnosis and treatment of many diseases. For APRNs this understanding can also help educate patients and guide them through their treatment plawaldens. In this Assignment, you examine a case study and analyze the symptoms presented. You identify the elements that may be factors in the diagnosis, and you explain the implications to patient health.
Case study scenario for this Assignment;
Scenario 1: 76-year-old female patient complains of weight gain, shortness of breath, peripheral edema, and abdominal swelling. She has a history of congestive heart failure and admits to not taking her diuretic, as it makes her “have to get up every couple hours to go to the bathroom.” She now has to sleep on two pillows in order to get enough air.
APA format, include an introduction, and conclusion. Assignment 2-pages case study analysis)
In your Case Study Analysis related to the scenario provided, explain the following
- The cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary pathophysiologic processes that result in the patient presenting these symptoms.
- Any racial/ethnic variables that may impact physiological functioning.
- How these processes interact to affect the patient.
Resources McCance, K. L. & Huether, S. E. (2019). Pathophysiology: The biologic basis for disease in adults and children (8th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby/Elsevier.
- Chapter 32: Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems; Summary Review
- Chapter 33: Alterations of Cardiovascular Function (stop at Dysrhythmias); Summary Review
- Chapter 35: Structure and Function of the Pulmonary System; Summary Review
- Chapter 36: Alterations of Pulmonary Function (stop at Disorders of the chest wall and pleura); (obstructive pulmonary diseases) (stop at Pulmonary artery hypertension); Summary Review
Note: The above chapters were first presented in the Week 3 resources. If you read them previously you are encouraged to review them this week.
Note: The above article was first presented in the Week 3 resources. If you read it previously you are encouraged to review it this week.