Analysis of Variance for you Made easy by Our Tutors
Using the 2018 Pulaski County Racial Attitudes survey data provided (essay2.xlsx), respond to the following questions. Note that these data have been cleaned so that “don’t know” and “refused” responses have blank values in the corresponding cells. The codes for the data set are included with this assignment. You may use Microsoft Excel or statistical software to develop the frequency and crosstab tables and to make calculations. Your response must include your Excel spreadsheet, statistical output, and/or handwritten calculations (either a scanned or hard copy is fine).
Imagine that an organization interested in American religious attitudes and beliefs has hired you to prepare a report on differences between white and black Little Rockers in their perceptions about religion. Using data from the 2017 Pulaski County Racial Attitudes Survey, your report should be at least 1000 words and should address the following:
1) Using the Little Rock whites sub-sample (tab labeled lr_whites_2017 in the dataset), prepare and interpret frequency tables (including frequency count and relative frequency) for white Little Rocker responses to each of these two questions:
Question 5 (“Aside from weddings and funerals, how often do you attend religious services? Would you say more than once a week, once a week, once or twice a month, a few times a year, seldom, or never?”)
More than once a week
Once a week
Once or twice a month
A few times a year
Question 8 (“People practice their religion in different ways. Outside of attending religious services, how often do you pray? Several times a day, once a day, a few times a week, once a week, a few times a month, seldom (once a month or less), never?”)
Several times a day
Once a day
A few times a week
Once a month
A few times a month
Seldom (once a month or less)
2) Using the Little Rock blacks sub-sample (tab labeled lr_blacks_2017 in the dataset), prepare and interpret frequency tables (including frequency count and relative frequency) for black Little Rocker responses to Questions 5 and 8 (Same codes as above for the different questions).
3) Compute the differences in means between black and white Little Rockers for Question 5. Do the same for Question 8. You should assume that the responses to questions 5 and 8 are numeric rather than categorical for purposes of computing sample means and variances. Interpret the results by drawing conclusions about whether Little Rock blacks and whites differ significantly in the frequency of their religious practices.
4) Using the data on Little Rock blacks in the tabs labeled “crosstab_Q5Q15_lrblacks” and “crosstab_Q5Q16_lrblacks” respectively, determine whether or not a relationship exists between:
i) A person’s response to Question 5 and his/her response to Question 15 (“From what you’ve heard, do you strongly support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose, or strongly oppose the Black Lives Matter movement?”).
ii) A person’s response to Question 5 and his/her response to Q16 (“Regardless of how you feel about the Black Lives Matter movement . . .In the long run, how effective do you think it will be in helping blacks achieve equality in this country? Would you say. . .very effective, somewhat effective, not too effective, not at all effective”)
For both tests, calculate a chi-square statistic, perform the chi-square test and interpret the test outcome.
Grading will be very lenient and you may work collectively on this assignment (Although every needs to submit individually and let me know upon submission who all is in a group together). This assignment serves as a way for you to put together all the statistical work we have covered up to this point in the semester.
Try to aim for a response and analysis that includes:
1) Accuracy and completeness: The degree to which the paper makes accurate statements about the nature of the Racial Attitudes Survey; accurately carries out statistical operations; accurately interprets results; and makes factual statements about those results
2) Depth: The degree to which the paper shows critical thought and analysis, as demonstrated in the conclusions it draws about the representativeness of the sample from the sampling design; about the overall evaluation of whites and blacks about religion; about differences in the evaluations of black and white Little Rockers concerning religion; and about the relationship between Q5 and Q15 and between Q5 and Q16.
3) Organization and clarity: The ease with which a person who has not taken PADM 7362 can understand the analysis in your paper.
This includes using clear language and well-defined terms (be sure to explain jargon); sufficient transitions and headers to guide the reader through the paper; well-constructed paragraphs; grammar, punctuation and spelling; and proper citation of ideas that are not your own (be sure that you include a bibliography as well as if you use in-text citations).