Progressive era expansion and the restriction of political and economic freedoms
For Part 1, read the two documents attached above and examine the image located below and attached above. Using the documents, the image, and the textbook write an essay answering the questions listed below. Grades will be based on the content of the answer and must be more than 400 words in length. Direct quotes do not count toward the required word count.
NOTE: Read all of document 1. Document 2 is 20 pages long, but you only need to focus on pages 5-10, especially the highlighted portions. Here is a youtube link to actor Mark Ruffalo performing the highlighted portions of the speech in document 2: https://youtu.be/zuGp-0G1p4M
Part 1 Questions:
1. In document 1, how does Woodrow Wilson justify his support for American involvement in World War I?
2. In document 2, how does Eugene V. Debs justify his opposition to World War I?
3. What elements of the image above reflect the ideas presented in documents 1 and 2? How do you think imagery like this affected American perceptions about Germans and World War I?
4. Based on your lecture notes and the textbook, as well as the documents and the image, explain why the United States intervened in World War I.
Part 2. Grades will be based on the content of the answer and must be more than 300 words in length. Direct quotes do not count toward the required word count.
Part 2 Essay Questions:
5. In what ways was the Progressive era a period that saw both the expansion and the restriction of political and economic freedoms? (300 words)
6. The Great Depression came dramatically with the stock market crash, but the causes of the Depression had been planted well before 1929. Discuss what brought on the Great Depression and why Hoover was not able to properly address the crisis. (300 words)