Write a 1-2 page summary of an employment accountability- or ethics-related event that, in your opinion, has had the largest impact on the workplace today.
In the previous assessments, you examined the evolution of employment law and the changing rules in the workplace. You considered the rules of the employee-employer relationship and the related laws. This assessment looks at the core issues related to employment law in the workplace today and how they might be changing the way we work.
It certainly seems that there is a lot of wrongdoing in the workplace. In this assessment, you will move away from the common understanding of discrimination and move toward a legal grounding in what constitutes wrongdoing. Of particular interest are the current hot issues in the workplace that we read about every day.
Ethics violations put executives on the front pages of newspapers, in the courtrooms, and sometimes in jail cells. However, to examine ethics violations without considering human resources policy issues would be a mistake. This assessment tests your ability to put these issues in a broader context and look at the employment relationship that was established on the date of hire and the communication and accountability that occurred during the employment period. The Department of Labor is very explicit about defining accountability and continues to broaden the definitions over time. It is reasonable for companies to claim that employees, especially managers, are responsible for their actions and words with staff, even outside of the workplace.
Creating a policy and placing it in a binder or on a Web site is not enough to absolve companies of individuals’ wrongdoings. Moreover, identifying the wrongdoing by terminating individuals is not enough. Over the years, legislation has aimed to punish corporations financially when their employees have committed misdeeds. It is hoped that with the law getting stronger, behavior and working interactions are getting better.
Use the Capella library and the Internet to research an event that, in your opinion, has had the largest impact on the workplace today.
Then, write a 1â€“2 page summary that reflects the importance of this event. In this summary:
- Identify an event that greatly impacted today’s workplace.
- Describe why you believe the event you chose is significant.
- Discuss the event’s relation to current trends.
- Relate the event to a personal experience. This can be the experience of a friend, coworker, relative, or yourself.
- Written Communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA Formatting: Resources and citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Font and Font Size: Times New Roman, 12 point, double-spaced. Use Microsoft Word to complete the assessment.
- Length: A minimum of 1â€“2 pages, excluding title page and reference page (150â€“300 words per question).
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 2: Analyze trends and changes in the laws on diversity, gender, and harassment.
- Discuss event’s relation to current trends.
- Competency 3: Apply the laws and safety issues in the workplace.
- Identify an event that impacts today’s workplace.
- Describe personal opinion on event’s significance.
- Competency 6: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the human resource profession.
- Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the human resource profession.